Counsellors of State
In the Empire of Austenasia, Counsellors of State are members of the Austenasian government, Imperial Family, or nobility, to whom the Monarch, currently Jonathan I, can delegate certain state functions and powers when he is abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness).
While the establishment of a Regency would carry with it the suspension of the Monarch from the personal discharge of the Imperial functions, when Counsellors of State are appointed, both the Monarch and the Counsellors can — the Counsellors within the limits of their delegation of authority — discharge the Imperial functions; so the Monarch can give instructions to the Counsellors of State, or even personally discharge a certain Imperial power, when the Consellors are in place. The Counsellors of State always act in the name and on behalf of the Monarch.
The office of Counsellor of State was founded in late November 2009. From then until September 2011, there had to be either five Counsellors or no Counsellors appointed, and the unanimous consent of all five Counsellors of State was needed to give Imperial Consent or to approve Candidates for Prime Minister, four to grant honours, and three to exercise the other powers of the Monarch. The Counsellors of State under this system were, therefore, a form of regency council ruling alongside the Monarch when appointed. The Counsellors of State were only appointed once under this system, between 10 December 2010 and 18 August 2011. Due to the State of Emergency which Austenasia was under between the start of that period and 6 March 2011, the consent of only three of them was sufficient to discharge any Imperial power or function during that time.
Under the Austenasian Constitution of 2011, enacted in September of that year, the system was changed so that although the maximum amount of people eligible to be appointed Counsellors remained five, the Monarch can choose how many to appoint at any given time, and can choose exactly what powers each Counsellor is authorised to exercise.
- 1 - 23 November 2011: HIH Crown Prince Jonathan and HM King Ptolemy IV were appointed, each able to exercise any power of the Monarch with the other's approval.
- 5 April - 5 June 2012: HIH Crown Prince Jonathan was appointed, able to grant Imperial Consent to enter Acts of Parliament into law.
Current Counsellors of State
|“||Those eligible to become Counsellors of State are the spouse of the Monarch, the Prime Minister, and the three highest in the Line of Succession to the Throne who are old enough to be a subject of Austenasia. If, under this criteria, there are less than five people eligible to become Counsellors of State, for example the Prime Minister is [in] the Line of Succession or the Monarch has no spouse, then the Nobles who are old enough to be a subject of Austenasia shall be added in order of precedence as Nobles to those eligible until those eligible reaches the number of five people.||”|
—Article VI, Section F, Paragraph E of the Austenasian Constitution of 2011
Currently (since 20 January 2013), those eligible to be appointed Counsellors of State are:
- HIH Eritoshi, Countess of Memphis
- HIH Crown Princess Caroline
- HIH Princess Christine
- HIH Princess Louise
- HM King Calum I
List of Counsellors of State
Due to various restrictions on who could be created a Counsellor of State before 10 September 2010, there were at some points less than five Counsellors, meaning that they could not have been appointed Counsellors anyway.
This list contains the dates not of when the Counsellors of State served, but when they were eligible to serve. Those in bold are those who are currently eligible to do so.
- Lady Margaret Austen, 1st Baroness of Glencrannog, DHJ, DOR, DPP: 29 November 2009 - 16 February 2010, 10 September 2010 - 19 December 2010, 31 March 2011 - 20 September 2011
- HIH Crown Prince Jonathan: 29 November 2009 - 20 January 2013
- HM King Ptolemy IV: 29 November 2009 - 16 February 2010, 20 September 2011 - 20 January 2013
- Lord Marshal William K., Baron of Zephyria: 29 November 2009 - 7 March 2010, 30 May 2010 - 20 September 2011, 20 January 2013 - 19 November 2013
- John K., OAO: 29 November 2009 - 10 September 2010
- HIH Princess Christine: 16 February 2010 - 10 September 2010, 20 September 2011 - present
- HIH Crown Princess Caroline: 10 September 2010 - 20 September 2011, 25 May 2012 - present
- Lord Timothy, KOM, KPP : 10 September 2010 - 19 December 2010
- Sir Terry Austen, KCJ: 19 December 2010 - 31 March 2011
- Tribune Robert Songhurst: 19 December 2010 - 31 March 2011
- HM King Calum I: 31 March 2011 - 20 September 2013, 19 November 2013 - present
- HIH Princess Louise: 20 September 2011 - 25 May 2012, 20 January 2013 - present
- HIH Eritoshi, Countess of Memphis: 20 September 2013 - present