Foreign relations of Austenasia
The diplomatic foreign relations of the Empire of Austenasia are implemented by the Foreign Office of Austenasia, led by the Chief Ambassador. The power to grant official diplomatic recognition of sovereignty lies with the Monarch, although the Prime Minister and Chief Ambassador can also grant recognition if through a diplomatic treaty. Austenasia is the foremost power of the Carshalton Sector, its Monarch being seen as the overlord of the other nations in that sector, and Austenasia has been consistently ranked within the four most influential nations within the MicroWiki Community since December 2011. Austenasia is a member of the Grand Unified Micronational and the Union Against Micronational War, as well as a former member of the Organisation of Active Micronations. The Empire has engaged several times in state visits and meetings with national leaders of other nations.
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland claims Wrythe, Zephyria, Thanasia, Palasia, Glencrannog, Corinium Terentium and Emperorsland.
- The Federative Republic of Brazil claims Axvalley.
- The Commonwealth of Australia claims New South Scotland.
- The United States of America claims New Richmond.
Nations which are protected states of Austenasia
- Monovia, since 2 October 2012 (formerly a protectorate since 24 October 2011, originally as Adjikistan)
- Orly, since 24 June 2013
Nations with which Austenasia has signed a Treaty of Mutual Recognition
(Italic text designates a now-defunct nation)
- Kingdom of Vikesland, on 24 October 2009
- Federal Republic of St.Charlie, on 10 December 2009
- Kingdom of Radnoria, on 23 January 2010
- Kingdom of Copan, on 7 August 2010
- Kingdom of the Grove, on 7 August 2010
- Midget Nation-in-Exile (recognised as a sovereign nation rather than a sovereign state), on 7 August 2010
- Imperial Kingdom of Calsahara, on 21 September 2010
- NottaLotta Acres, on 8 October 2010
- Kingdom of Juclandia, on 2 January 2012
- Reylan Imperial Triumvirate, on 15 January 2012
- Kingdom of Überstadt, on 28 May 2012
- Community of Landashir, on 14 August 2012
- Grand Duchy of Flandrensis, on 13 January 2013
- Principality of Arkel, on 13 January 2013
- Duchy of Campinia, on 13 January 2013
Other nations which Austenasia recognises
(Bold text signifies that official recognition is mutual)
- All member states of the United Nations since 27 December 2008, reaffirmed 21 September 2011
- Vatican City State, since 27 December 2008
- Republic of Kosovo, since 27 December 2008
- Republic of China (Taiwan), since 27 December 2008
- Republic of Molossia, since 27 December 2008
- Principality of Sealand, since 21 February 2009
- Republic of Abkhazia, since 11 October 2009
- Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, since 11 October 2009
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, since 11 October 2009
- State of Palestine, since 11 October 2009
- Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, since 11 October 2009
- Republic of South Ossetia, since 11 October 2009
- Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic (Transnistria), since 11 October 2009
- Republic of Somaliland, since 11 October 2009
- State of Sandus, since 21 September 2011
- People's Democratic Autocracy of Arborea, since 21 September 2011
- Kingdom of Florenia, since 31 December 2011
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta, since 31 December 2011
- Free State of Renasia, since 6 April 2012
- Biarchy of Peribius, since 6 April 2012 (originally as Starhigh)
- Technological Federation of Erephisia, since 13 August 2012
- Federal Republic of Francisville, since 13 August 2012
- Commonwealth of Kumano, since 13 August 2012
- Hobartstown and Victoria, since 11 February 2013
- Ladonia, since 11 February 2013
Austenasia has historically had varied stances on Antarctic territorial claims. Act 42 (International Diplomatic Relations), passed on 3 January 2009, recognised the claim of Flandrensis to Siple Island. Act 55 (Antarctica), passed on 31 January 2009, also recognised the claims of Westarctica and all official claims of UN member states other than those of Argentina and Chile.
Act 74 (8th Revision to Existing Laws), passed on 18 April 2009, ratified the Antarctic Treaty and revoked recognition of Flandrensisian and Westarctican sovereignty over their land claims due to them having no population there, but acknowledged that they did have a population and so recognised them as sovereign nations rather than as sovereign states (recognition of Westarctica was fully revoked in September 2010 due to it being "defunct", that is, the government it then had becoming inactive).
On 10 September 2010, Act 126 (17th Revision to Existing Laws) repealed the law which had ratified the Antarctic Treaty. Although Act 126 did not specifically announce the Empire's withdrawal from the Treaty, from then on Austenasia de facto recognised no Antarctic claims. The Antarctica Act 2013 (given Imperial Consent on 16 January 2013) changed this - recognition of the Antarctic claims of UN member states recognised by Act 55 was reaffirmed, and the sovereignty the three nations of the Flandrensisian Commonwealth (Flandrensis, Campinia and Arkel) was recognised over their Antarctic claims, becoming recognised as sovereign states (it was also confirmed that the Antarctic claim of Landashir was recognised).
Austenasia and the Principality of Arkel entered into mutual recognition on 13 January 2013 after a treaty of friendship and co-operation which included mutual recognition of sovereignty was signed between Austenasia and each of the thee nations of the Flandrensisian Commonwealth. Relatively friendly informal relations had existed between the two states for some time prior to official recognition - the then Prince of Arkel, Maarten I, was knighted into the Austenasian Order of the Crown Prince in April 2011, and Jonathan I of Austenasia (while still Crown Prince) was made a member of Arkel's Order of the Ladder in July later that year.
Austenasia and the Principality of Campinia entered into mutual recognition on 13 January 2013 after a treaty of friendship and co-operation which included mutual recognition of sovereignty was signed between Austenasia and each of the thee nations of the Flandrensisian Commonwealth.
Austenasia and the Grand Duchy of Flandrensis entered into mutual recognition on 3 January 2009. Later that year, on 18 April, Austenasia clarified that it recognised Flandrensis as a nation only and not as a sovereign state, as Flandrensis does not excercise any control over the land that it claims (Siple Island, Antarctica). A treaty was signed between Austenasia and Flandrensis on 13 January 2013 in which the Empire recognised Flandrensisian sovereignty over its Antarctic claims and upgraded recognition of the Grand Duchy to being a sovereign state rather than merely a sovereign nation.
Both nations are on friendly terms, and both are members of the GUM and UAMW. Austenasia was once a member of the OAM along with Flandrensis, which remained in the organisation until its collapse. National leaders Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) and Grand Duke Niels I of Flandrensis met at the 2012 Polination Conference.
N.B. - Transcontinental nations are listed under the continent in which their capital is located.
Austenasia formally recognised Erephisia on 13 August 2012, although Erephisia had recognised Austenasia since 16 November 2011. Both nations are on friendly terms, and Erephisia was once a member of the GUM alongside Austenasia. National leaders Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) and Billy Neil of Erephisia met at the 2012 Polination Conference.
Austenasia formally recognised the Kingdom of Juclandia on 31 December 2011, and a treaty of mutual recognition between the two nations was signed two days later. On 17 November 2012, the joint Austenasian-Juclandian cultural project of Crepundia was unveiled in Wrythe, strengthening the bonds between the two nations - Austenasia was declared a "sister nation" of Juclandia by a decree made by the King of Juclandia on 30 March 2013. The treaty of mutual recognition defining the friendship between Juclandia and the Empire was updated on 16 June 2013, and national leaders Emperor Jonathan I and King Ciprian I met at the 2013 Intermicronational Summit. Both are current members of the GUM and former members of the OAM, and hold very strong friendly relations.
Austenasia and Landashir formally entered into diplomatic recognition on 13 August 2012, although amicable interactions and an informal friendship had existed between the two states since early 2010 - James Puchowski, the founder and leader of Landashir, was given Austenasian knighthoods in September 2010 and June 2011 and the title Vizier of Rushymia in October 2010. Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) met with Puchowski at the 2011 Intermicronational Summit and at the 2012 Polination Conference, and Puchowski visited the Austenasian capital of Wrythe along with diplomats from Francisville and Sandus the day after the 2012 Conference. A month later, on 14 August, the Crown Prince visited Landashir in the first Austenasian state visit to another nation since February 2011. Puchowski also visted Wrythe for the Coronation of Emperor Jonathan I in February 2013. Landashir was once a member of the GUM alongside Austenasia, and both are former members of the OAM.
Austenasia and Monovia entered into mutual diplomatic relations on 24 October 2011, when Monovia was still known as the Great Socialist Union of Adjikistan. On that date, the nation was accepted as a Protectorate of Austenasia (meaning that the Empire was responsible for Monovian foreign affairs and defence). In April 2012, Monovia became a Special Autonomous Region of Renasia, but by the terms of a treaty the Empire retained responsibility for defending and internationally representing Monovia - in May it seceded from Renasia and became independent once more, with Monovia's leader Harry Fitzpatrick being granted the rank of Caesar by the Emperor in August laster that year. On 2 October 2012, Monovia transitioned from a protectorate to a protected state of Austenasia - while still obliged to offer military assistance if Monovia is attacked, the Empire is no longer responsible for the foreign affairs and defence of the country. National leaders Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) and Harry Fitzpatrick met at the 2012 Polination Conference, and Monovia is a member of the GUM alongside Austenasia.
On 13 April 2013 relations with Monovia were further strengthened, with the Emperor of Austenasia being given the right to choose the Monovish monarch under the new Monovish constitution, as well as the Monovish army merging into the Austenasian Army as Centuria III Monoviae. Also on that date, the Theodorist Party of Austenasia was declared the ruling political party of Monovia. Monovia is currently not permitted to either declare war or form alliances without the prior permission of the Austenasian Ministry of Defence.
Mutual diplomatic recognition officially commenced on 7 June 2010 when New Wessex was still known as the Kingdom of Moylurg, and two months later Austenasia and Moylurg signed the Treaty of Wilton on 7 August, establishing a military alliance between the two nations. Friendly relations between Austenasia and Moylurg came about almost entirely due to the personal relationship which Crown Prince Jonathan of Austenasia and King Declan I were in between May and October 2010. Jonathan was named Prince Consort of Moylurg, and Declan I was given the title Prince Companion of the Heir to the Throne. Crown Prince Consort Jonathan embarked on a state visit to Moylurg in August 2010, and met again with the King of Moylurg the following month in the United Kingdom. Moylurg (which became known as Wilcsland in November 2010) was briefly a member of the GUM alongside Austenasia, and both are former members of the OAM.
Relations between Wilcsland and Austenasia were further strengthened in December 2010, when Declan I became Emperor of Austenasia as a result of the War of the Orlian Reunification, entering the two nations into personal union. For most of 2011 and 2012, diplomatic relations between Austenasia and Wilcsland (later New Wessex - see below) were so strong that some (notably James Puchowski) even called for a political union between the two states.
On 14 January 2012, New Wessex was founded as Declan I declared Orly (over which he had taken power as Tsar) to be in political union with Wilcsland, the two being constituent countries of the new United Kingdom of New Wessex. Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) again met with Declan I, this time in his capacity as King of New Wessex, in March 2012.
Orly became independent from New Wessex on 24 June 2013, returning to its previous state of Austenasian suzerainty. This severely damaged relations between Austenasia and New Wessex, exacerbated by the abdication of Declan I from the Austenasian Throne five months previously for personal reasons. On 12 July 2013, Jonathan I confirmed that there had been "an irreparable breakdown in relations and communication" with Declan I, gave notice of a withdrawal from the military alliance with New Wessex, relinquished the Wessaxon peerage Duke of Atlantos and relinquished and revoked respectively the Wessaxon citizenship held by himself and the status Declan I held as an Austenasian subject. The military alliance between the two nations ended on 7 August 2013, exactly three years after it was formed.
Austenasia and Orly are geographically very close, with less than half a mile between their borders at their closest point. The Caesarship of Orly, the original incarnation of Orly, never entered into diplomatic relations with Austenasia even though the Caesar of Orly recognised the suzerainty of the Emperor of Austenasia, who had given him his title. On 19 July 2010, the Caesarship split into the Kingdom of Copan and the Kingdom of the Grove, two nations both of which entered into formal diplomatic relations with Austenasia on 7 August 2010 and also recognised the suzerainty of Austenasia. The two kingdoms were united into the Tsardom of Orly in early December 2010, and despite a short war breaking out between Austenasia and Orly over the opposition of Emperor Esmond III to a reunited Orly, the "Tsardom of Orly" held strong friendly diplomatic relations with the Empire under Declan I (see New Wessex, above) for the rest of its existence.
Orly was declared to be in political union with Wilcsland as the United Kingdom of New Wessex on 14 January 2012, but was liberated from foreign rule on 24 June 2013. Orly returned to its state as two independent kingdoms, Copan and the Grove, recognising Austenaian suzerainty. Orly was made a protected state of the Empire that same day, with Austenasia pledging to defend both the Grove and Copan against any outside attacks should it be requested to.
Austenasia and the Kingdom of Radnoria entered into mutual recognition on 23 January 2010, after signing a treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation.
Austenasia and the Free State of Renasia entered into mutual recognition on 6 April 2012, after having held informal friendly relations for just under two years. Both are current members of the GUM, and the Empire had since 29 September 2010 been in diplomatic relations with Gishabrun, a nation which is now a Special Administrative Region of Renasia. National leaders Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) and Jacob Tierney of Renasia met both at the 2011 Intermicronational Summit and the 2012 Polination Conference.
Reylan Imperial Triumvirate
Austenasia and the Reylan Imperial Triumvirate entered into mutual recognition on 14 January 2012, and signed a treaty of mutual recognition and non-aggression the following day. National leaders Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) and Taeglan I Nihilus (of Austenasia and Reyla, respectively) had met five months previously at the 2011 Intermicronational Summit, and met again at the 2012 Polination Conference.
Jonathan I and Taeglan I met again at the Coronation of Emperor Jonathan I on 23 February 2013. The two monarchs there signed the Treaty of Wrythe, formally giving recognition of each other’s full imperial rank and reaffirming the treaty signed between Austenasia and Reyla the previous year.
Austenasia and the Federal Republic of St.Charlie entered into mutual recognition on 27 August 2009, and signed a treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation on 10 December 2009. Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) met with Alexander Reinhardt and Heinrich Schneider at the 2011 Intermicronational Summit. Both nations are current members of the GUM, and Austenasia was once a member of the OAM along with St.Charlie, which remained in the organisation until its collapse. The then Crown Prince again met Reinhardt, along with President James Lunam, Minister Riley Small and two other St.Charlian officials at the 2012 Polination Conference. Crown Prince Jonathan was accompanied by St.Charlian local official Pierre d'Égtavie in the joint Austenasian-St.Charlian state visit to Landashir and Francisville on 14 August 2012.
N.B. - Transcontinental nations are listed under the continent in which their capital is located.
Austenasia and the Imperial Kingdom of Calsahara entered into mutual diplomatic relations on 10 September 2010, and signed a treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation a mere 11 days later, on 21 September.
Austenasia and the Kingdom of Florenia entered into mutual recognition on 31 December 2011 after diplomatic relations were requested by Florenia some days previously. Both nations are current members of the GUM.
Austenasia and Kumano originally entered into mutual diplomatic relations on 6 December 2009, when the latter was still known as Aspinburgh. A formal treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation was planned to be signed in February 2010, but internal political problems in Aspinburgh permanently delayed this, with Aspinburgh dissolving in September 2011 - nevertheless, Austenasia and Aspinburgh held a strong diplomatic friendship. Aspinburgh was immediately succeeded by the Serene and Independent Principality of Tatsumiya, although due to a isolationist policy held by Tatsumiya for some months in order to stabilise the new state, Austenasia did not recognise Tatsumiya as the successor state to Aspinburgh until 13 August 2012 - Tatsumiya announced a formal re-recognising of the Empire eight days later in response, and transitioned into the Commonwealth of Kumano on 7 August 2013. Kumano (as Tatsumiya) was formerly a member of the GUM alongside Austenasia.
Austenasia and the Republic of Molossia entered into mutual recognition and informal friendly relations on 27 December 2008. Since then, the two nations have maintained a relatively close friendship, and together organised the Intermicronational Environmental Year in May 2009. Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) met with President Kevin Baugh and First Lady Adrianne of Molossia at the 2012 Polination Conference.
Austenasia and NottaLotta Acres entered into mutual recognition on 29 September 2010. Before this, between 13 March and 2 April 2010, the two nations had been at war as NottaLotta Acres was part of the Allied Carolinian Coalition. After the Austenasian Civil War ended, some hostility remained between the two as NottaLotta Acres did not officially renounce their support of Carolinianism. They did this on 13 September 2010 after negotiations between the governments of both nations, and on 8 October 2010 signed a treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation. Austenasia and NottaLotta Acres are both former members of the OAM.
Austenasia and the State of Sandus entered into formal diplomatic relations on 21 September 2011, after having been in informal friendly relations since July 2009. Both nations are members of the GUM and hold a very close diplomatic partnership despite having no bilateral treaty between them. Jonathan I (while still Crown Prince) met with Will Sörgel of Sandus at the 14 July 2012 Polination Conference, and Sörgel visited the Austenasian capital of Wrythe the following day along with diplomats from Landashir and Francisville.
Austenasia and the Kingdom of Überstadt entered into mutual diplomatic relations on 15 January 2012 and signed a treaty of mutual recognition on 28 May 2012. A new treaty was signed on 20 June 2013, updating Austenasian recognition of Überstadt to that of a sovereign state rather than a sovereign nation after Überstadt gained sovereign territory in February earlier that year. Both are members of the UAMW, and Überstadt was once a member of the GUM alongside the Empire.
Austenasia and the Kingdom of Vikesland entered into mutual diplomatic relations on 23 June 2009, and signed a treaty of mutual friendship and co-operation (the first such treaty that Austenasia signed) on 24 October 2009.
Austenasia and the People's Democratic Autocracy of Arborea entered into informal friendly relations in May 2011, after a request from the Arborean government. Formal diplomatic relations were mutualised by Austenasia on 21 September later that year.
Austenasia and the Biarchy of Peribius (when the latter was still known as Starhigh) entered formal diplomatic relations on 6 April 2012, after informal friendly relations had been held for several months. Both are current members of the GUM.
Austenasia claims to have recieved tacit recognition - that is, acts or conduct which, in the absence of any indication to the contrary, can be reasonably interpreted to imply recognition - from several countries which have not explicitly granted the Empire official diplomatic recognition.
- Francisville: On 8 December 2012, a diplomatic note from the Francillian government was sent to the then Emperor expressing the intention of Francisville to pursue formal diplomacy with Austenasia in the future. Francillian politicians Jamie Sutherland and Sebastian Linden visited the Austenasian capital of Wrythe in an official capacity on 15 July 2012 and 26 October 2013 respectively, and the then Crown Prince Jonathan visited the Francillian Canton of North Llabdey on 14 August 2012 by invitation of its head of government James Puchowski.
- Italy: On 17 March 2009, an e-mail from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs addressed the then Crown Prince Jonathan as "Your Imperial Highness" and referred to him as "Primo Ministro" (Prime Minister) in the subject line of the message, implying recognition of Austenasia's monarchy and government.
- United Kingdom: Declarations of independence sent to the British government on three separate occcasions in late 2008 did not result in any response from the United Kingdom denouncing Austenasia's secession - neither has any opposition to independence been voiced since, even after the Empire has been twice featured in a local newspaper, gained a local following numbering in the hundreds, and had an article about it written on Wikipedia. On 16 March 2010, an e-mail from the administration of Sutton Wide Area Network (an intranet for local council facilities and educational establishments confirmed upon inquiry in July that year to be managed by the London Borough of Sutton and run by Sutton Council employees) addressed the the Crown Prince Jonathan as "The Crown Prince of Austenasia", referred to the website of the Austenasian government as "your state website", and stated that they had "verified" Austenasia's "national status", showing de facto recognition of Austenasia by the local government. Said de facto recognition from the local council was further demonstrated during July 2010, when a large proportion of workers at Sutton Council (including the then Chief Executive) were made aware of Austenasia's existence yet expressed no opposition to its independence. On 20 May 2011, Crown Prince Jonathan met with Tom Brake (MP for Carshalton and Wallington) to discuss diplomacy with the UK. Mr. Brake contacted the British Foreign Office on the Empire's behalf, and later informed the local newspaper that he "wish[ed Crown Prince Jonathan] every luck with his campaign" to have Austenasia recognised.