Democratic Republic of Starland
|This article contains information pertaining to a fictional micronation, micronationalist or other fictional element of micronational society or culture.|
|This article refers to a nation which is defunct and no longer exists. You can help make the article reflect that or ask on the talk page for further information.|
| Democratic Republic of Starland|
República Democrática del Starland
Unum populum, unam populi finis mutuam
One nation, One People, One Common Goal
God Bless Starland
|Capital city||Star City|
|Largest city||Star City|
|Official language(s)||English, Spanish|
|Official religion(s)||Christian, Agnostic|
| - Prime Minister
|Established||August 28, 2009 (official, as Kingdom)
September 10, 2010 (Republic)
March 31, 2011 (First Empire)
May 15, 2011 (Second Empire)
July 18, 2011 (Social Democratic Republic)
August 10, 2011 (Democratic Socialist Republic)
August 20, 2011 (Second Social Democratic Republic)
August 24, 2011 (Union)
March 31, 2012 (Reestablished)
|Currency||Starland Dollar (S)|
|Time zone||(UTC -8, -9 during DST) Starland Standard Time|
|National sport||American football|
|National animal||California Kingsnake|
|Patron saint||General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo|
|This nation is a member of the Vanguard Powers
This nation is a member of the Free State Union
This nation is a member of NAMCO
This nation is a member of the AMU
This nation is a member of the League of Carteratian Micronations
This nation is a member of the Coalition Against Terrorist States
This nation is a member of the IMTO
The Democratic Republic of Starland is a secessionist micronation located and based in Northern California.
Starland name was relatively picked at random. A list of names included Sonora, NorCal, and others. Finally Hart settled on the name of Starland.
Starland for most of its existence was relatively based upon friends and family who were, for the most part, not really involved with the country at all. Starland was ruled as a Kingdom until from August 28, 2009-September 10, 2010 before being turned into a Republic, then an empire and then a republic again. It is a de facto democratic republic but ultimately has been ruled as a benevolent dictatorship with democratic principles.
For 13,000 to 15,000 years, Native American Tribes inhabited the areas of what is now the Western United States. It wasn't until the 1500s that Spanish conquerors laid claim to the lands of what is now modern-day California and the American southwest. In 1602, Spanish explorer, Sebastián Vizcaíno mapped the region as New Spain. From 1769-1821, California was ruled by the Spanish Empire, followed by the Mexican War for Independence which saw California under a brief period under Mexican rule (1821-1846). In 1846, citizens and new settlers in the area revolted against Mexico in what became known as the Bear Flag Revolt. California declared independence from Mexico on June 14, 1846, setting up its capital in Sonoma. The California Republic lasted for less than a month before being occupied by American forces. After a few battles in the Mexican-American War, the United States officially siezed California in 1848, along with the entire southwest. In 1849-1850, eastern and European settlers began swarming to California with the discovery of gold. It would be granted statehood in 1850 and for the next one hundred and fifty years, it continued to grow and thrive with the building and continuous expansion of cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, and the San Francisco Bay Area. In 2008, within the East Bay, a interest in micronationalism began to grow. Finally, on August 28, 2009, what became the Starlander nation declared its soveriegnty and independence from California and from the United States.
Emerald Isle Revolution, turmoil, and second government collapse
In March and April 2011, the Republic and, later, Empire got involved in the conflict in Emerald Isle. Starland fought a political war alongside its ally until its conclusion on April 9th. With a new government and new leaders, Starland soon found itself falling into small periods of inactivity and internal squabbles. In early May, a rebel group overthrew the government and ran it for two days before before being defeated. The government soon collapsed again and the population suffered another drop. The government entered a transitional phase for a two week period in May as it voted to continue the nation, reform its government, and vote for a new leader. On May 21, the Second Empire was declared and a new government was sworn in. The Imperial Assembly that had existed for the last few months had been abolished in favor of, once again, a unicameral legislature (Imperial Parliament). The new government abolished the office of President and established full executive power with the Prime Minister and full legislative power with the Parliament while the monarch held no official power.
On March 31 2012, Nik Hart sent an email to many micronational leaders that he had effectively been the sole active citizen of Starland, and that most of the country's alleged citizens never existed. Hart apologized for his long-running hoax, and expressed a desire to remain in the MicroWiki community nonetheless.
Starland is a democratic republic governed by a constitution which outlines the basic laws and guidelines. The head of the government is the Prime Minister who is responsible for the nation's defense, security, and Armed Forces and acts as commander-in-chief. The citizens of Starland have the power to vote for their leaders and laws and to run for office. To vote, they must achieve the age of sixteen and to run for office they must be seventeen.
Starland has an open-door policy recognizing several other micronations and has been active in establishing friendly relations with fellow micronationalists.
It has a strong anti-dictatorship sentiment opposing governments like China and North Korea and even was involved in a so-called "war" on the military junta in Niger. The nation has developed a strong pro-peace sentiment and operates under their "Why fight when we can negotiate?" campaign. Starland recently has ended its conflicts and avoids others by working through crises or remaining neutral. It is a member nation in Vanguard Powers, Free States Union, AMU, and NAMCO.
+ denotes diplomatic embargo
- Plokooñan Empire+
- Draco Republic+
- People's Democratic Republic of Pugguinia+
- Republic of Belarus+
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) +
- People's Republic of China +
- South Ossentia
- Myanmar (Burma) +
- Islamic Republic of Iran +
- Syrian Arab Republic
- United States of America
- Western Sahara
- British West Florida
Enemies of the state
- Phil Heisner(left-wing extremism) CONVICTED
- Joseph Kony (right wing Christian extremism, crimes against humanity, rape, kidnapping, terrorism, torture)
- Michelle Bachmann (right-wing extremism)
- President Bashar al-Assad (dictator, crimes against humanity, militancy, right wing Arab extremism)
- Muhammad al-Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam al-Gaddafi CAPTURED , Al-Saadi al-Gaddafi, Hannibal Muammar al-Gaddafi, Ruhollah al-Islam Muammar al-Gaddafi, Milad al-Gaddafi, and Ayesha al-Gaddafi (support of a dictator/human rights abuser, crimes against humanity)
- Regime and any supporters of the Regime of Colonel Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi (support for Muammar Gaddafi, crimes against humanity)
- Kim Jong-un (crimes against humanity)
- Alexander Lukashenko (dictator)
- All members of the Ba'ath Party (militant group, Fascist regime, crimes against humanity)
- All members of the Taliban (militant group, crimes against humanity, terrorism)
- Fairhaven Baptist Church, Believer's Baptist Church and Hephzibah House (right-wing Christian extremism and crimes against humanity)
- All other members of the Al Qaeda terrorist network (terrorism, militant group, crimes against humanity)
- All members of the Westboro Baptist Church (right-wing, christian extremism)
- All members of the National Democratic Party of Germany (right-wing Christian extremism, fascism, militant group)
- All members of neo-Nazi parties and organizations (right-wing Christian extremism, fascism, militancy)
- All members of the American Tea Party Movement and Californian Tea Party Express (right-wing Christian extremism)
- All members of the New People's Army of the Phillipines (left-wing extremism, terrorism, rape, kidnapping, drug trafficking)
- All members of the Haqqani Network (terrorism, militancy, crimes against humanity, and extremism)
- All members of Hezbollah (terrorism, militancy, crimes against humanity, and extremism)
Starland was a member of the United Micronations (UMN), a defunct, Youtube based organization quite similar to the United Nations. It was also a member of the Hazad Union before its merge with the, now-defunct World Micronational Alliance to which Starland agreed to remain. It is also a member of the Vanguard Powers (VP), NAMCO, AMU, and the Free States Union. It once was a member and leading nation of the Micronational and International Committee for Peace and Democracy (MICPD), a now-defunct organization dedicated to working to end wars and help nations tranistion to democracy.
Despite its mainly liberal politics, Starland has zero tolerance for fascism, militarism, and extremism. It opposes governments and organizations which are neo-nazi, racist, sexist, discrimainatory, prejudice, militant, etc. Starland does not recognize some macronations, including the Chinese, North Korean, and Iranian governments, among others. It does not appove of military governments such as Burma and Libya. It does not support Russian backed nations such as South Ossentia and Abkhazia and does not support the micronation of Mustachistan. It does, however, declare that Taiwan, Tibet, Hong Kong and Macau are independent from China.
Starland maintains very strong diplomatic relations with the Republic of Dorzhabad and the nearby Kingdom of Kozuc. It maintains diplomatic relations with the Aerican Empire, Calsahara, DuPonty Monarchy, and the People's reformed States Republic. Starland remains friendly with Aspinburgh, Vikesland, Molossia, and others.
Recently Starland became controversial in the Micronational World in August 2010, for its former leader's annexation of Aspinburgh . Two nations placed diplomatic embargoes on Starland, and the OAM condemned them in a resolution. Many nations placed embargoes on Starland, including Penrith, MGPRA1 and Secundomia. Secundomia has since removed the embargo.
Starland is defended by the Starlander Republican Guard or SRG. The SRG is a peacekeeping force trained in ground, naval, and special operations. SRG is run by the Ministry of War and the Armed Forces which is led by the Prime Minister.
Geography and climate
Starland claims residence in Northern California with other claims territory in Antarctica and claims rule over southern half of Pluto, a claim on some land in North Carolina and Alaska.
- Starland Antarctic Territory is Starland's land claim over a chunk of Antarctic tundra. On August 10, 2010, it was revealed Starland was in violation of Istoria's claim to "Victoria Land" to which the situation was eventually dissolved.
- Alaska Territory is Starland's claim on Souther Alaska. It was given to Starland as part of the Treaty of Emerald Isle after the March 2011 Emerald Isle Revolution.
- Coast Guard Point Territory is Starland claim on some territory in North Carolina. It was given to Starland as part of the Treaty of Emerald Isle after the March 2011 Emerald Isle Revolution.
- Territory of Emerald Isle is a Starland claim on the former micronation of Emerald Isle It was ceded to Starland following the Alexander government collapse of March 2012.
- Plutonian Territory is Starland's official claim of the southern half of Pluto. Unlike for the rest of Starland, the Prime Minister is proclaimed "Premier".
Starland's climate varies from province to province. In the California provinces, typical winters are wet and mild while summers are hot and dry with temperatures ranging from the low 80s to 110 degrees.
The Starland economy is heavily nationalized while maintaining a strong liberal, free market government.
Starland maintains many traditional American customs. Traditional sports include American football, baseball, and basketball, although the country does not have any official teams of their own. Education is provided by the United States education system. While English is the official and most commonly spoken language throughout the nation, Spanish is spoken as well.
There is no official state religion in Starland as defined by the Bill of Rights in the Starlander Constitution. Instead, all religions are tolerated. The majority of Starlanders are either Christians, Agnostic, or non-religious.
Starland's media is very active throughout the nation and its territories. Starland News and Starland State Television provides the main source of information in the nation with regularly updated newsbites on the nation's website. The Starland media is relatively open and free with freedom of information and news free to access and view. In June 2010, the Royal Starland Herald was created as a branch of Royal Starland News. On September 10, 2010, Royal Starland News became Starland News with the creation of the Republic. The Herald was discontinued in May 2011. Starland also has its own twitter with other information on the ongoings in the country. On December 1, 2011, Starland State Television launched the Starland News Network, which presents the week's news every six days. Currently, there are two news anchors: "Ben Baxter", a lanky, dark-brown haired, British male and "Maggie Thompson", a slender, blonde, British female.
God Bless Starland (to tune of God Bless America)Starland National Anthem
God bless Starland
Land that I love.
Stand beside us and guide us
Through the night with the light from above.
From the mountains, to the valleys
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless Starland, my home sweet home.
God bless Starland, my home sweet home!
Prime Minister's Anthem
(to tune of America's Hail to the Chief)
Hail to the Chief we have chosen for the nation,
Hail to the Chief! We salute him, one and all.
Hail to the Chief, as we pledge cooperation
In proud fulfillment of a great and noble call.
Yours is the aim to make this grand country grander,
This you will do, that's our strong, firm belief.
Hail to the one we selected as commander,
Hail to the PM! Hail to the Chief!
Email: Foreign Affairs
Official Twitter: twitter.com/StarlandGov