Terry I abdication crisis
|Terry I Abdication Crisis|
|Date: February 15-16, 2010|
| Terry I's Abdication|
Refusal of Crown Prince to accept Throne
Accession of Esmond III
| Terry I|
Crown Prince Jonathan
The abdication crisis of Terry I was an event in the Empire of Austenasia which lasted from Monday 15th to Tuesday 16th February 2010. The crisis started after the decision of Terry I to abdicate from the Throne and the refusal of the then Prime Minister and Heir to the Throne, Crown Prince Jonathan, to succeed Emperor Terry.
At the Imperial Residence on 15 February 2010, HIM Emperor Terry I announced to the Imperial Family that he would no longer be head of state, and wished to abdicate. This was after a small row, and tempers were running high. However, under Austenasian law an abdication is irreversible, and while Terry I remained Emperor until a new Monarch accepted the Throne, the search was immediately on for the new Monarch.
The 1st in Line to the Throne was Terry's son, the then Crown Prince Jonathan. As he was also Prime Minister, he refused the Throne so that he could remain head of government - under the Austenasian Constitution of 2008 (and the current Austenasian Constitution of 2011) the Monarch and Prime Minister could not be the same person.
The 2nd in Line to the Throne was Dark Lord Esmond, 2nd Duke of Highland, SCH - the Supreme Companion of Crown Prince Jonathan, who met with him on 16 February 2010 to confirm his ascension to the Throne. Esmond III had been made 2nd in Line to the Throne by Act 105 (Supreme Companion of the Heir) in October 2009 as a ceremonial honour - it was not expected that Terry I would abdicate any time soon, it being thought that Esmond would lose contact with the Crown Prince enabling the honour to be revoked long before the reign of Terry I came to an end. At roughly 14:40, in Sutton town centre, the new Monarch signed into law Act 113 (Abdication of Terry I), making him Emperor and bringing into effect Terry I's abdication.
The most immediate effect of the abdication was the ascension of Emperor Esmond III to the Throne of Austenasia. The most notable and immediate effect of this was the Austenasian Civil War - taking this into consideration, the following events of 2010 can be said to have been ultimately caused by the abdication of Emperor Terry I:
- The Austenasian Civil War - caused by the failure of the Vestry Conference, a meeting convened when Princess Caroline disputed the ascension of Esmond III to the Throne.
- Carolinianism - a political movement created as a response to Esmond III ascending to the Throne instead of Princess Caroline.
- The founding of the Caesarship of Orly - a nation created by friends of the Emperor and Crown Prince who had been inspired by Austenasia after learning about it through the outbreak of the civil war.
- The War of the Orlian Reunification - a war of which one of the main causes was the determination of Esmond III to retain his suzerainty over the Carshalton Sector; this could not have happened had Esmond III not ascended the Throne, or if Orly had not been founded in the first place (see above).
- The personal union of Austenasia, Wilcsland, the Midget Nation-in-Exile and the Tsardom of Orly under Declan I, II & V - the most notable outcome of the War of the Orlian Reunification (see above).